Saturday, April 8, 2017

Color Wheel


I find color to be a subtle, yet important aspect of mise-en-scene. I once read that Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan had his characters wear certain colors to represent what role they played in the show. For example, Marie is always wearing purple or shades of purple, as are the rest of the nurses. Hank and Gomez wear orange to represent them as law enforcement officers.

So color, I feel, can be part of the character. According to the color wheel below, reds and oranges are considered more active and passionate colors, compared to the blues and purples. I feel this can be utilized in the short. James, I envisioned, could wear red in his conversations with Gina to symbolize the passion and fiery energy and wear blue with the "Mighty's" to symbolize his laid back approach. When he's alone, I was figured out his could wear a neutral color like gray to show that he is in between two extremes. 

color wheel displaying active - passive ranges

No comments:

Post a Comment