Sunday, March 19, 2017

Directing

Panic button had been pressed. Along with the rest of life's obstacles, I've been dedicating some time for the past two nights writing the script with two pages to show for it. I'm a slow writer and it's quite annoying. Dialogue doesn't flow out of my brain to the screen easily.

But the real reason I've pressed the metaphorical panic button is because I realized while writing this that the short is dialogue heavy and dialogue driven.

HOW AM I GOING TO DIRECT THIS??

Look, I've watched too much TV and movies to know what a scene with two to three people sitting at a table talking looks like, but I feel that I need to do something with a flair. That if I simply shoot the thing shot-counter-shot that it will turn out too boring and will have nothing to write about during my analysis essay. Obviously shot-counter-shot will be utilized but I need to add that extra something else to make the piece more engaging (I know the dialogue should be engaging, but I hold no promises).

I had an idea to do just that. If one has ever seen Do the Right Thing, this scene should be one that sticks out (the second half anyway). Speaking from a directorial standpoint, the addressing to the camera is bold and I thought I could do the same thing, but for a different purpose, story wise. I thought that I could have either the Mighty's introduce themselves or speak to a cause talking to the camera. I feel that this is something different that most wouldn't attempt and I want to standout in a way.

I feel that it would be best for the "Mighty's" and not the other group due to their outlandish and silly presence.

I'll test it and if worst comes to worst, then I'll cut it.

(Written Wednesday, March 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment